Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Interview

I conducted interviews on Avery Young and Dana Senderoff. Both are workers at Ernie Davis gym and college students at Syracuse University.

Avery Young
1. Who do you usually see using the weight room?
 I usually see the guys, masculine guys, and a few "regular" kids trying to work out and bulk up in the weight room.

2.Do you ever see communication between the genders?
If man/woman know each other, they will start talking, but other than that I don't see many girls talking to guys. If anything, guys will usually go to the treadmills to talk to them.

3.Has there ever been a disturbance involving the genders trying to use the weights? Any complaints?
 No, not that I have encountered.

4.Do you think women/men belong in the weight room? Do you see power gender or gender authority in the weight room?
I would say that there are three different rooms:Treadmills/ellipticals/mats, weight room, studio. Treadmills and ellipticals, where you will find the majority women. In the weight room is mostly men. The studio is usually empty unless there are classes or your random few looking to work out in a secluded area without distractions.

5.Do you yourself use the weight room? How often?
Only my section (the weight room). I don't enter the other areas.

6.Have you ever seen both genders work together?
No

7. How do you think this affects college students?
I do not think it affects college students, at least not largely. If it does, it affects both: women can not utilize the free weights and men do not use the cardio machines. Both are losing in some way.

Extra: I think space is also a big impact at Ernie. If I had to choose to weight lift here, at Ernie, or at Archbold, I would choose Archbold, because there is more space. Here, everything is closer together and I feel like there's no space. Also, it's less intimidating at Archbold.


Avery Senderoff added to my interview.

1.Do you think the weight room is mean to be cut off from the rest of Ernie Davis gym?
Definitely cut off to make its own area without distraction. I can't take the distractions of men.

2. Do you see women using the weight room?
I've seen girls lift weights and I'm like, "Wow! Good for her". My friend asked me once if I wanted to do a workout and gave it to me. Once I found it was involved weights, I was like, "No, I'm not trying to do that here".  Basically, I stay clear of the weight room.

Extra: Other smaller gyms, like Marionn, works both ways. The girls that weigh more also feel self-conscious. They do not want to work out in front of 100 lb girls. Therefore, they go to Marionn so they don't have to be seen. When I am there, for like three hours, I will see maybe 1 or 2 people and sometimes they are more overweight, because they do not feel comfortable at a place like Ernie Davis or Archbold.

No comments:

Post a Comment